Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Deal of the Day: Charity and Flan

I had seen these guys before near the kitchen where I work. Youngish (well, under 30-looking) Latino guys in jeans and blue t-shirts that advertise Hogar Crea of DE, Inc. carrying 4 or 5 small foil pans. They stop in at all the storefronts on Elkin Street. They are selling flan to help benefit Hogar Crea which is an international organisation started in Puerto Rico in 1968 to help drug addicts break their habits. The program is free but those who enter in to it must adhere to strict house rules as well as attending church every Sunday. According to Wikipedia, 92% of of those who have completed the program have completely stayed off of drugs. That's one hell of a success rate.

In the past, every time these guys would come by I would pass on buying because I rarely have any money on me. Today I had a few bucks left from a cash job I'd had over the weekend. I bought a plain flan. Holy Moly it's pretty tasty! A hell of a lot better than the ready-made ones in Safeway's dairy section. It's denser but still very light and not as sweet as the store bought kind. The coolest thing is that the guys selling the flan also make the flan as a requirement of their stay in the treatment facility. The are also required to wash cars and do other types community service. The guys are really nice, too. From now on I'm going to try and keep, at least, $5 in my car for a flan from them.

You should, too.

Today on DJ Mondo's Wheels of Steel:
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Oingo Boingo - Nothing to Fear
Vangelis - Opera Sauvage
Mellow Man Ace - Mentirosa (12" Single)

No comments: