Tuesday, June 9, 2009

New Work-In-Progress

Okay, so today I decided that, since I finally got a little time off from work, I should shoot some of the stuff I've been collection over the last couple of days. The photo above isn't quite the way I want it yet so there will be some tweaking in PhotoShop. This is just a working proof as I will adjust the colour balance, sharpness and such. I also shot some orchids today.

I don't use a conventional camera to photograph these flowers and other objects. My cheapo digital died after 2 years of service and my 35mm was stolen last year so now I use an HPScanjet 3570c. I do, however, have tons of 35mm slides and B&W negs that I can finally print because I figured out how to get the scanner's backlight (TMA) function to work in WinXP.

On Mondo's Musical Merry-Go-Round right now:
Verlette Simon - Proof of Life
Swayzak - Dirty Dancing
Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party
Midi Rain - One
The Very Best of Dionne Warwick

2 comments:

matthew d. lyons said...

Nice. I like the clarity of the image. I'm sure with just a few minor adjustments, the black would be spotless and the colors would pop.

If you're interested, I've got several film bodies and a couple lenses that I'm not actively using. Though I want to hold onto them, you can borrow some stuff for as long as you want. Let me know.

Guy Mondo said...

One of the advantages of using a scanner instead of a regular camera is that it eliminates DOF issues as it places everything on the same plane. Unfortunately, because I bought it from a Goodwill store, a spotless background is near impossible without loss of detail, contrast and colour balance. I've taken it apart to try and clean the glass but, alas, my environment isn't dust-free. I also need to upgrade my monitor from the 15-year-old 13" CRT.
Tiny steps...