Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Deal-of-the-Day

I go to my neighborhood thrift store on a regular basis because I almost always find something really cool there. Today was no exception as I rifled quickly through 3 longboxes of crappy comics that someone unloaded (mostly lame ass DC titles). However, this was the jewel in the junk, a minty fresh copy of BLACK PANTHER #7 with art by the undisputed king of comic book artists, JACK KIRBY! Also, it was inked by Mike Royer who's work on Kirby's FOREVER PEOPLE for DC Comics and some of the best of his THOR stories is the stuff of legends.

I have yet to actually read this comic as I'm hoping to find, at least, the rest of this story arc but I have flipped through it just to marvel (no pun intended) at The King's layouts. The only comic artists that come close to Kirby's top position on my list of favorites are, in no particular order, Steve Ditko, Jim Steranko, Simon Bisley and Mike Mignola.

Oh, did I mention that I got this for only 60¢?

3 comments:

Jon said...

Wha? What about the Johns? Romita, Buscema, Byrne...

Gil kane, Gene Colan....c'mon now!

Verification word: powsized

(Nice.)

Jon said...

George Perez!

Guy Mondo said...

Hey, I didn't list [i]all[/i] of my faves! John and Sal Buscema did some classic work for Marvel in the 70s and Gil Kane's "The Atom" and "Blackmark" are legendary. I was never a fan of Colan, though, and because of my on and off love affair with comics I missed what, I guess, was Byrne's golden age and what I did see of his work didn't impress me much. While Perez and Romita reminded me too much of the Sunday funnies version of comic art: a little too bland but not without merit.

Dang. I should have made this today's blog entry...