Sunday, November 2, 2008

Life. Stilled.

Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus swainsoni)
(Click on picture for full-size)
I found this bird today while I was at work. It had flown into the window of the Temple Sinai Social Hall and fell into the little rubberized playground outside of the Nursery School. It was the third one I've seen that had crashed into that window. I think it's a very beautiful bird and I wanted to preserve it. This photo was made with my scanner (my art tool of choice lately) and Photoshopped a little bit to keep the background as dark as possible. Until I can figure out a way to spread it's wings or pose it differently without too much damage I'll keep it in a Ziploc in my fridge.

There was a woman with her kids nearby while I was putting the bird in a Ziploc (I keep a box of them in my car...) who asked me what I was going to do with it. When I told her I would photograph it she asked if I had seen Peter Greenaway's A Zed and Two Noughts and wondered if I was like the protagonists in that film. I assured her that I was not and thought to myself, "At least, not in such a way that you may find me dead in the woods naked and covered in live snails."

Todays Plays in the Mondo-Mobile:
Various Artists - Elemental Chill Volume 3: Air
Amos Milburn[e] - Great Rhythm & Blues Oldies Volume 10
The Orb - Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" Remixes
Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights

No comments: